Thursday, April 11, 2013

Coincidence? I think not.


Meet Avery and Amanda, two of my roommates. They're also my best friends. I went to Family Home Evening once. (I'd like to say that I do that regularly, but unfortunately that just isn't the case). It was the 2nd week of college and I volunteered to drive a few people to the park. Two girls got into my car and I didn't think much of it. We talked a little bit but to be honest, I'm not sure I even remembered their names when the night was through. But fate would have it that Amanda and I would both be on Freshman Council. Fate would also have it that they were going to have an empty room in their suite 2nd semester. Of course I jumped at the chance and now I get to see their lovely faces every single day!

Avery is our small town girl. She just has such a fun personality! Plus she loves country music, which is a hard quality to find these days. There is seriously never a dull moment with this girl. Especially if she stays up past 10pm. That's when it gets really funny :) She is one of the most caring people I know. She is always worrying about a friend, taking someone to dinner, sending a package to a missionary, or doing some random act of kindness. Many a time I've come home to a cute little note or a treat on my desk. Once she even brought me and Amanda a treat and said it was for St. Patrick's Day. Who gives St. Patrick's Day gifts? Leprechauns and Avery, the most thoughtful person on the planet, that's who. She gives the best hugs. If you ever want to have a really good talk, talk to Avery. She's a great listener and a deep thinker. She's strong too. She's had trials in her life that I can't imagine but she always manages to be happy and positive. She is always sharing her light with others and looking for opportunities to share the gospel. She's just plain amazing!


Amanda is from Provo but no worries, she's a true Utes fan. Me and her have a pretty strict pact where we wear sweats all the time and and use Pitch Perfect references to get out of going to the gym when Avery invites us. I'm not implying that we're lazy, we just don't like vertical running ;) She is, in fact, a very hard worker. She works, volunteers, is involved on campus, and gets awesome grades. She is going to make one amazing PA someday! She is kind and is always seeking to do what is right. She is a great example to me and everyone around her. She is always there to give great advice and to unknowingly strengthen my faith when I need it. Her testimony is a shining example of the fabulous young woman she is. She just got her mission call just a couple of weeks ago to the El Salvador Santa Ana/Belize mission. I am so excited for her! She is going to be such an amazing missionary!
Enjoying the view after Priesthood Session ;)
Runnin' Utes Basketball Game
Our "Babe" tattoos at Rock the U
Basically I don't know what I would do without these two. I can tell you that my first year of college definitely wouldn't have been the same. I'm a better me because I met them. Do you think it was a coincidence that the 3 of us showed up at Family Home Evening (once...) and these two got in my car? I don't think so. I had begged Heavenly Father that shy little me would be able to make some new friends and that I wouldn't end up going through Freshman year alone. They were literally an answer to my prayers. I will be forever grateful that of all the people on this great big campus, my Heavenly Father sent me these two. I can't even begin to express to you how grateful I am for them or how much I've grown to love these two girls over the past 9 months. So coincidence? I think not.


No comments:

Post a Comment